Monday, March 8, 2010

Reader Question: Breastfeeding Advice

I recently received my first ever reader question. I thought that I'd post it (with permission from the reader of course, I'm not rude) so that if anyone else has a similar question, they might find our conversation helpful.

Ashley asks:
I have a 15 month old son - who I breastfed for about 5 months - and I am currently expecting our second child.


When I was browsing your blog, I read your post about "The Breastfeeding Mom's Arsenal" and found it very helpful (and accurate - we adored our Boppy!).

And your story about finding a good bra made me laugh. I am also very well endowed and never really did find a good nursing bra the first time around. I would really like to change that this time. So I guess I was wondering if you could recommend anything or at least tell me the best bras you came across so I can try to check them out. I only had a couple with my first son and they were both terrible - either too tight and uncomfortable or too loose and absolutely no support....
 
Hey Ashley! Thanks for emailing me. I'm glad you found my post about breastfeeding to be informative and accurate.


Yes, its totally true. The nursing bra was probably the hardest peice of clothing I've ever had to find. I tried all the brands that I found recommended like Bravado and Medela and none of them worked. They didn't support at all, and I felt like an oompa loompa walking around in them. Now don't get me wrong. I have a Medela one that I still wear occasionally as a sleep bra if my nursing tanks are in the dirty clothes, but luckily those times are few and far between.

The bra that I have is the Goddess Nursing bra. Doesn't that sound lovely? The Goddess? Let me tell you though, it's not sexy at all. But honestly, its given me the best support and I don't feel like I'm being weighed down in the front because it holds me upright. I was only able to order two because my shop told me they were out of stock. However, I just did a quick google search for you and came across it at this site. http://www.mommygear.com/goddess-original-nursing-bra.htm It does say that it was discontinued but I think they still have some sizes in stock. Like I said, it aint pretty, but it gets the job done, which as a nursing mom, is all we can really hope for sometimes. Now, if that one doesn't have the size you need, this one doesn't look too bad. It's their newer version, and honestly if I still had 6 months or more to go, I'd probably order it, but I think the 2 I have will hold me through until Buggy weans. http://www.mommygear.com/goddess-comfort-zone-nursing-bra.htm

And I cannot stress how amazing the Target nursing tanks are. I'll admit, I'm a fluffy girl, and I didn't think that I'd be able to fit into them because, hello, fluff and spandex don't mix, but they fit amazingly and are so comfy, and I may never go back. I wear one everyday and I sleep in them too. They are my must have anymore. Definitely check them out. The Bravado tanks, Walmart tanks and a few others didn't fit me right and I felt self conscious in them. However, the Gilligan O'Malley (Target) brand fits without being too tight, and they are a little bit longer, so they hit at my hips and not high on my waist.

My suggestion is, if you have a lingerie shop in your town, to check it out. Most of the time they deal in a lot of old lady stuff, but sometimes they will have the items that are needed. Check them out and see if they have nursing bras in stock, if not, have them size you and then have them order you one in the next size up so that when your milk comes in you aren't squeezing into the bra.

Good luck and congratulations on your second little miracle!
 
If you have any questions or comments regarding my posts or just in general, feel free to contact me at mommylogs@gmail.com.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment